Cases do not always end in the trial court, and we are prepared help clients in every step of the appellate process. Our appellate practice is headed by Robert G. Schaffer, who served as a law clerk to the Hon. William H. Rehnquist, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, and has a national reputation. We handle all aspects of appellate matters, including post-trial appeals, petitions for special action, writs and other forms of extraordinary relief, and amicus curiae (friend of the court) briefs. We primarily handle appellate matters in Arizona’s state and federal courts, but regularly associate with counsel nationally to assist with important cases.
Some of our lawyers’ notable appeals include:
- 1st HC, LLC v. Talamante, 2017 WL 1180268 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2017) (obtained reversal of order denying stay of judgment pending appeal).
- Bowen Prods, Inc. v. French, 296 P.3d 87 (App. 2013) (non-party at fault disclosure requirements under Ariz. R. Civ. P. 26(b)(5)).
- IMT Capital 11525 Blucher v. NMS Props., 2016 WL 827702 (Cal. Ct. App. 2016) (obtained affirmation of trial court judgment in favor of client on access easement and attorneys’ fees).
- Nokes v. Classis of the Southwest, R.C.A., 2016 WL 233103 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2016) (obtained affirmation of trial court ruling on ecclesiastical abstention doctrine).
- Stueber v. Slayton, 2013 WL 2443122 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2013) (obtained reversal of order setting supersedeas bond on appeal).
- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix v. Superior Court, 204 Ariz. 225, 62 P.3d 970 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2003) (obtained special action review of attorney-client privilege rulings in criminal grand jury proceedings).
- Morgan AZ Financial, LLC v. Gotses, 235 Ariz. 1, 326 P.3d 288 (App. 2014) (obtained reversal of trial court order holding that debtor waived common law defenses to deficiency action).
- Western Corrections Group, Inc. v. Tierney, 208 Ariz. 583, 96 P.3d 1070 (App. 2004) (Arizona competitive bidding statute violated by construction management contract).
- Stone v. GEICO General Ins. Co., 731 Fed. App’x 688 (9th Cir. 2018) (mem. decision) (Class Action Fairness Act removal jurisdiction).
- ESI Ergonomic Solutions, LLC v. United Artists Theatre Circuit, Inc., 203 Ariz. 94, 50 P.3d 844 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2002) (class certification under Telephone Consumer Protection Act).
- Troon H Pad, LLC v. First Am. Title Ins. Co., 2013 WL 440609 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2013) (Rule 26.1 disclosure requirements for computation and measure of damages).
- Davis v. Agua Sierra Resources, LLC, 220 Ariz. 108, 203 P.3d 506 (Ariz. 2009) (reversal of a lower court decision that would have stripped the client of water rights alleged to be valued in excess of $20 million).