Richard L. Cobb is a member of Holden Willits PLC. He has been practicing law for 34 years. His practice focuses on commercial matters including construction and real estate. Mr. Cobb has represented clients in the State Courts of Arizona and Utah, Federal District Court, appellate matters in Arizona and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and administrative agencies. His clients include Fortune 500 Companies, real estate investment funds, homebuilders, developers, title insurers and banking institutions. Mr. Cobb also serves as a professional mediator.
Before joining Holden Willits, Mr. Cobb was a member of Lake & Cobb, PLC. From 1990 – 1991 he took a sabbatical from the practice of law in the United States to serve as Legal Counsel to the President of Palau where he participated in the work of opening diplomatic ties with China. Mr. Cobb funded his legal education by starting and then selling a trade publication business. His introduction to the world of construction and real estate development began in high school while working as a framer – which he thoroughly enjoyed. Mr. Cobb lived in South America as a young man and still reads, writes and speaks Spanish.
Awards and Recognition
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Southwest SuperLawyers™ – Business Litigation (2007-2022)
- Arizona’s Finest Lawyers
- Represented developer in purchase of real estate.
- Represented commercial landlord in lease negotiations.
- Represented condominium developer in connection with noise claims.
- Obtained motion to dismiss mass action against a home builder in Maricopa County Superior Court arising from alleged discrepancies in a Public Report.
- Obtained motion to dismiss mass action against a homebuilder in Maricopa County Superior Court arising from alleged violation of implied duties in the construction of common areas.
- Obtained motion to dismiss claims against a title insurer in Provo District Court.
- Obtained motion for summary judgment (for the defense) on escrow liability claim in Wyoming State Court arising out of mineral rights.
- Obtained summary judgment and successfully defended the appeal on claim against a title insurer in Arizona State Courts.
- Obtained summary judgment and successfully defended the appeal of claim arising from Arizona Lien Law.
- Obtained summary judgment and successfully defended the appeal of a claim against a cell phone carrier.
- Obtained verdict for property owner on adverse possession claim in Maricopa County Superior Court.
- Successfully defended claim against contractor in Registrar of Contractor’s action before Office of Administrative Law Hearings.
- Successfully represented real estate professional before the Arizona Department of Real Estate.
- Obtained formal opinion from the Arizona Registrar of Contractors on a licensing issue.
- Represented various insurers in subrogation claims.
- Represented Insurer in dispute with agent over termination of agency.
- Represented Insurer in examinations under oath.
- Represented Insurer in coverage investigation and determination.
- Represented Insured in diminution in value (appraisal) arbitration.
- Represented Insurance agent in dispute with commercial insurance broker.
- Represented commercial real estate agency in fee disputes
- Represented production home builders in Purchaser Dwelling Act claims.
- Represented subcontractors in the defense of construction defect claims.
- Represented licensed contractors in complaints filed with Arizona Registrar of Contractors
- Represented real estate professional in matters brought by the Arizona Department of Real Estate.
- Represented subcontractors and suppliers in mechanic lien foreclosure actions.
- Represented private lenders in priority disputes and foreclosure litigation.
- Represented employers in the defense of tort actions arising from the acts of employees.
- Represented multiple clients before the Arizona Court of Appeals.
- Represented corporate officer before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented facilities districts in various matters including commercial litigation.
- Represented real property owners in claims against design professionals.
- Represented private parties on a contingent fee basis in business tort claims.
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, In-house Continuing Legal Education Seminar: Title Insurance Coverage Concept
- Presenter, In-house Continuing Legal Education Seminar: Boundary Disputes Under Arizona Law
- Presenter, In-house Continuing Legal Education Seminar: Understanding Title Policy Exceptions
- Presenter, Maricopa County Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Seminar
- Presenter, National Business Institute Continuing Legal Education Seminar
- Presenter, Lorman Education Services Continuing Legal Education Seminar
- Contributing Author, Arizona Construction Law Manual, Unjust Enrichment Chapter (State Bar of Arizona, 2011).